Cookbooks 101 & Media Training for Culinary Professionals
Many of you that read my ramblings are fellow bloggers and food writers. I want to share with you a series of seminars I am hosting in DC next month.
COOKBOOK PUBLISHING 101:
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT WRITING COOKBOOKS AND COOKBOOK PROPOSALS
Saturday, November 7th, 2009
10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
The session seeks to educate and inspire those who dream of writing a cookbook and examines the publishing process from all angles and perspectives. Attendees will have the opportunity to “pitch” their cookbook idea to the group for feedback.
Topics covered include:
- Helpful resources for locating and working with a literary agent
- Pros and Cons of Working with an literary agent
- What exactly is a proposal and how do I create one
- Building marketing, platform, and brand
- Recipe research, writing, and testing
- Proposals and cover letters
- Crafting your Unique Selling Point
- Nuts and bolts – practical finances and what to expect
- Agent as advocate during the publishing process
- Getting to know the players in the culinary publishing world
- Organizations to network through and join
The course concludes with a Q & A session, although questions are encouraged throughout the presentation.
HONING YOUR EDGE:
CUTTING EDGE MEDIA SKILLS
Sunday, November 8th, 2009
9:30 am – 4:30 pm.
Beginning with an overview of today’s media environment, the course examines television, internet, print, and radio interviews from all angles, as well as personal appearances and cooking demonstrations. The goal is to replace intimidation and fear with confidence and energy and, ultimately, to help chefs, chef educators,product spokespeople and cookbook authors perform as well in front of the camera as behind the stove.
For full detailed course descriptions please visit lisaekus.com
To register or to inquire about these courses, please contact Daniele Mathras at 413-247-9325 or Daniele@LisaEkus.com.
Tuition for the full-day HONING YOUR EDGE course is $699 (including
lunch) and tuition for the half-day COOKBOOK PUBLISHING 101 is $325; no refunds.
IACP members and L’Academie students, faculty, and alumni receive 15% off tuition fees. So, take that down to $595 for the full day and $275.